Built in 1944, by Westergaard Boatworks of Biloxi, Mississippi (hull #284) as the YT-284 (Neokautah) for the United States Navy.
While under construction the tug was reclassified by the United States Navy as YTB-284 (Neokautah) on May 15th, 1944. She was launched on July 22nd, 1944 and completed on October 31st, 1944. The tug was delivered to the United Stated Navy, and placed in service, November 24th, 1944.
She was allocated to the 8th Naval District at New Orleans, Louisiana. In 1951, the tug was reassigned to Orange, Texas. In 1959, she was placed out of service. And, struck from the Naval Register.
In 1960, she was acquired by the Mobile Towing and Wrecking Company of Mobile, Alabama. Where the tug was renamed as the Captain Hargrove.
In 1971, the tug was acquired by the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1978, she went out of documentation. Her current and or final disposition is unknown. The tug was single screw, rated at 1,270 horsepower.