Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
ELWINA McALLISTER
Photo by: Captain Brian Fournier

Built in 1943, by Equitable Equipment of Madisonville, Louisiana (hull #188) as the ST-9 for the United States Army.

In 1949, the tug was acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the Elwina McAllister.

In 1978, the tug was acquired by Stanwood Towing of Stanwood, Michigan. Where the tug was renamed as the Wood Power No. 2.

In 1980, she was sold foreign, and was registered under a Guyana flag. However in November of 1984, the tug was sunk by hurricane Klaus at St.Thomas.

In April of 1985, the tug was raised. And, taken under tow with the intention of making the tug an artificial reef. However, she sank prematurely. In 1976, the tug was repowered. She was a single screw tug, rated 1,080 horsepower.


  • Vessel Name: ELWINA McALLISTER
  • USCG Doc. No.: 258998
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Hull Number: 188
  • Ship Builder: EQUITABLE EQUIPMENT CO
  • Year Built: 1943
  • Length: 82
  • Hull Depth: 10.9
  • Hull Breadth: 23.0
  • Gross Tonnage: 139
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    ST-9, Elwina McAllister, Wood Power No. 2, Wood Power No. 2
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    United States Army, McAllister Bros. Towing Co., Stanwood Towing Co.