Built in 1949, by Lester F. Alexander and Company of New Orleans, Louisiana (hull #444) as the Evening Star for the Bouchard Transportation Company of Mellville, New York.
In 1959, the tug was acquired by the Reinauer Transportation Companies of Staten Island, New York. Where she was renamed as the Captain Begely.
In 1986, she was acquired by Captain John Selvick of Chicago, Illinois. However, on the delivery run from New York Harbor to the Great Lakes. The main engine suffered a crippling failure. The tug was quickly sold to Ferriss Marine Contracting of Detroit, Michigan.
In 1989, the tug was acquired by Ferriss Marine Contracting of Detroit, Michigan. Where she was renamed as the Protector. Where her main engine was replaced, and the tug reentered service.
In 1994, she was acquired by Calumet River Fleeting Incorporated Chicago, Illinois. Where the tug was renamed as the Nicole S.
In 2007, the tug went out of documentation. And, she was acquired by the Northeastern Maritime Historical Foundation of Duluth, Minnesota. Where the tug was "laid up." And, was used for spare parts. She was a single screw tug, rated at 900 horsepower.