Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
YT- 36 "FRANCIS B. HACKETT" (1909)

Built in 1909, by Johnston Brothers of Ferrysburg, Michigan (hull #32) as the Francis B. Hackett for the Hackett Towing and Wrecking Company of Amherstburg, Ontario.

In 1917, the tug was acquired by the Morse Drydock Company of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1917, she was acquired by the United States Navy. Where the tug was designated as the SP-1161. However on April 1st 1917, she was commissioned as the USS Frances B. Hackett. Where the tug was assigned to the submarine squadron towing targets for the Atlantic Fleet. On April 13th 1919, she was transferred to Norfolk, Virginia for use on the York River.

On July 17th 1920, the tug was redesignated by the United States Navy as the YT-36. Where she was transferred to Washington Navy Yard for use as a harbor tug. Although on November 20th 1920, she was redesignated as the YT-36 (Shenandoah). Then on October 15th 1923, the Navy redesignated the tug as the YTM-36 (Choptank).

On June 28th, 1946 the tug was placed out of service. And, on December 30th, 1946 she was struck from the Naval Register. On April 27th, 1947 the tug was transferred to the United States Maritime Commission for sale, and, or reuse. On June 9th, 1947 the tug was sold.

In 1947, the tug was acquired by the Meseck Towing and Transportation Company of New York, New York. Where the tug was renamed as the Choptank.

In 1954, Meseck Towing and Transportation was acquired by the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1956, she was acquired by the Wilcox Floating Equipment Company of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1963, the tug was acquired by the Allied Towing Corporation of Norfolk, Virginia. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1967, she was acquired by the General Towing Corporation of Norfolk, Virginia. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1969, she was acquired by the St. Philip Coastal Towing Company of Tampa, Florida. Where the tug was renamed as the Gloria St. Philip.

In 1979, she was acquired by the Berg Boat Company of New Orleans, Louisiana. Where she was renamed as the Choptank.

In 1982, the tug was acquired by the E.N. Bisso and Son Company of Metairie, Louisiana. Where the tug was renamed as the Admiral.

In 1995, she was acquired by the Gulfport Towing Company of Gulfport, Mississippi. Where the tug retained her name.

In 2006, the tug was scrapped. She was a single screw tug, rated at 1,200 horsepower.
(NavSource Online)


  • Vessel Name: YT- 36 "FRANCIS B. HACKETT" (1909)
  • USCG Doc. No.: 206346
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • IMO Number: 5071315
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise, Unrestricted Registry
  • Call Sign: WSF4462
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Hull Number: 32
  • Ship Builder: Johnston Brothers
  • Year Built: 1909
  • Length: 96
  • Hailing Port: GULFPORT, MS.
  • Hull Depth: 10.8
  • Hull Breadth: 25.2
  • Gross Tonnage: 203
  • Net Tonnage: 138
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    Francis B. Hackett, SP-1161, SP-1161 (USS Frances B. Hackett) YT-36, YT-36 (Francis B. Hackett), , YT-36 (Shenandoah), YT-36 (Choptank), YTM-36 (Choptank), Choptank, Gloria St. Philip, ADMIRAL
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    Hackett Towing & Wrecking Co., Morse Drydock Co., United States Navy, U.S. Maritime Commission, Walter L. Meseck, Moran Towing Company, Wilcox Floating Equipment Co., Allied Towing Corp., General Towing Corp., St. Philip Coastal Towing Co. Inc., Berg Boat Company, E.N. BISSO MISSISSIPPI LLC, GULFPORT TOWING CO, INC