Built in 1956, by the Bethlehem Steel Company of Staten Island, New York (hull #8478) as the Buffalo for the Pennsylvania Railroad Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
In 1971, she was acquired by the Cape Fear Towing Company of Wilmington, North Carolina. Where she was renamed as the Fort Caswell.
In 2007, the Cape Fear Towing Company was acquired by the Moran Towing Corporation of New Canaan, Connecticut. Where the tug retained her name.
In 2013, the tug was retired from service. Her current and or final disposition is unknown. She was a single screw tug, rated at 3,000 horsepower.