Built in 1899, at Athens, New York as the John Nichols for the John E. Moore Company of New York, New York.
In 1928, the tug was acquired by the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her
In 1941, she was acquired by an individual named E.E. Cummings. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1942, the tug was abandoned. She was a single screw tug, rated at 450 horsepower.