Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
SIOUX
Pictured as: the J.M. Taylor (Taylor and Anderson) Photo by: Dave Boone

Built in 1892, by the Neafie and Levy Ship and Engine Building Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (hull #849) as the P.H. Wise for the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York.

In 1898, the tug was acquired by the United States Navy. Where the tug was designated as the Sioux.

In 1918, the United States Navy redesignated the tug as the Nyack.

In 1920, the United States Navy redesignated the tug as the YT-19 (Nyack).

In 1921, she was acquired by an individual named William S. Nolan of Boston, Massachusetts. Where the tug was renamed as the Nyack.

In 1921, the tug was acquired by an individual named Daniel J. Boylan of Boston, Massachusetts. Where she was renamed as the P.H. Wise.

In 1926, she was acquired by the O'Brien Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug was renamed as the J. Vincent O’Brien.

In 1933, the tug was acquired by Taylor and Anderson Marine Towing Incorporated of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Where she was renamed as the J.M. Taylor.

In 1966, she was acquired by Guatemalan interests. The tug is no longer listed in any documentation. Her current, and or, final disposition is unknown. She was a single screw tug, rated at 350 horsepower.
(NavSource Online, Dave Boone)


  • Vessel Name: SIOUX
  • USCG Doc. No.: 150525
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Hull Number: 849
  • Ship Builder: Neafie & Levy Ship & Engine Building Co.
  • Year Built: 1892
  • Length: 84.3
  • Hull Depth: 9.6
  • Hull Breadth: 19.0
  • Gross Tonnage: 111
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    P.H. Wise, Sioux, Nyack, YT-19 (Nyack), Nyack, P.H. Wise, J. Vincent O’Brien, J.M. Taylor
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    Moran Towing Co., United States Navy, William S. Nolan, Daniel J. Boylan, O'Brien Towing Co., Taylor and Anderson Marine Towing Inc.