Built in 1898, by Marine Industries of Sorel, Quebec as the Mathilda for the Sincennes McNaughton Company of Montreal, Quebec.
In 1959, the tug was acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where she retained her name.
In 1970, she sank at her pier in Manhattan, New York. She was raised, salvaged and stored on a pier on the West Side of Manhattan. The Mathilda was donated by James McAllister, to the South Street Museum in Manhattan, New York.
In 1983, the tug was placed as a Museum piece along Roundout Creek in Kingston, New York. As an exhibit in the Hudson River Maritime Museum. Her exterior was restored in 1988.