Built in 1941, by the Marietta Manufacturing Company of Point Pleasant, West Virginia (hull #489) as the MP-16 (Col. George Ricker) for the United States Army.
Originally constructed as a mine planter, for the United States Army. On April 4, 1944, the vessel was transferred to the United States Navy. Where she was commissioned as the ACM-2 (USS Planter).
She was the second ship to bare the name. The vessel was decommissioned on May 22nd of 1946. And, was struck from the Naval Register on December 23rd of 1947. Where she was transferred to the Maritime Commission on the April 9th, 1948.
In 1948, the vessel was acquired by Foss Tug and Launch Company of Tacoma, Washington. Where she was renamed as the Planter. And, was converted for use as a towing vessel.
In 1963, the tug was requisitioned into mercantile service. Where she was renamed as the San Juan.
She was later sold, where she renamed as the Purple Aster. And, then as the Tiger Fish 2.
She was last reported under the Philippines flag. Her current and or final disposition is unknown. She was powered by two, Combustion Engineering header boilers. With Skinner Unaflow reciprocating engines. Turning two, shafts for a rated 1,200 horsepower.
(Kyle Stubbs, NavSource Online)