Built in 1921, by the Skinner Shipbuilding and Drydock Company (hull #55) as the Spartan for the H. and N.Y. Transportation Company of New York, New York.
In 1917, the tug was acquired by the United States Navy. Where she was designated as the SP-336 (Spartan).
In 1919, she was struck from the Naval Register. And returned to the H. and N.Y. Transportation Company of New York, New York. Where the tug was renamed as the Spartan.
The tug was later acquired by the Olsen Water and Towing Company of New York, New York. Where she retained her name.
In 1950, she was acquired by the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1954, the tug was scrapped at Tottenville, New York. Powered by a single, steam engine, turning a single, fixed pitch propeller. She was single a screw tug, rated at 800 horsepower.