Built in 1919, by Eastern Shore Shipbuilding of Shapstown, Maryland as the Vulcan II for the United States Shipping Board.
The tug was later transferred to the United States Navy. Where she was designated the YT-57.
She was later sold. And, renamed as the Lafayette.
The tug was then acquired by the Amboy Towboat Company of Perth Amboy, New Jersey. Where she was renamed as the St. Martin.
In 1956, she was acquired by the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1956, the tug was scrapped. She was a single screw tug, rated at 550 horsepower.