Built in 1940, Jakobson Shipyards of Oyster Bay, New York (hull#282) as the Dauntless No. 14 for Dauntless Towing Line Incorporated of New York, New York.
In 1941, the tug was acquired by the United States Navy and converted for Naval Service at the Portsmouth Naval Yard, Portsmouth, New Hampshire. She was placed in service as the YT-171 (Yaquima). On the 18th of April 1941, she was allocated to the 1st Naval District at Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
On May 15th, 1944 the tug was redesignated as YTB-171 (Yaquima). On December 3rd, 1945 she was placed out of service at the Boston Naval Yard. And she was struck from the Naval Register on May 8th, 1946. The tug was transferred to the War Shipping Administration for disposal on June 7th, 1946.
In 1946, she was returned to the Dauntless Towing Line Incorporated. Where she was renamed as the Dauntless No. 14.
In 1955, she was acquired by the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the M. Moran.
In 1969, the tug was transferred to the Moran Towing Company subsidiary the Curtis Bay Towing Company of Baltimore, Maryland. Where she was renamed as the Lambert Point.
In 1970, she was returned to the Moran Towing Company's fleet. Where she was renamed as the Claire Moran.
In 1990, the tug suffered a fire. And, in 1991 the tug was scrapped due to the subsequent damage from the fire. She was a single screw tug, rated at 1,750 horsepower.