Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
CITY OF FREEPORT
Photo by: Captain Ted

Built in 1980, by the Greenville Shipbuilding Corporation of Greenville, Mississippi (hull #61) as the Don for the Greenville Shipbuilding Corporation of Greenville, Mississippi.

In 1982, the tug was acquired by Coastal Towing Incorporated of Houston, Texas. Where she was renamed as the M.B. Freeman.

In 1995, she was acquired by the TPT Transportation Company of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Where the tug was renamed as the City of Freeport.

In 1998, the tug was acquired by the Kirby Corporation of Channelview, Texas. Where she retained her name.

Powered by two, GM 12V-149 diesel engines. With Twin Disc reduction gears, at a ratio of 6:1. She is a twin screw, square bow, push boat. Rated at 1,350 horsepower.


  • Vessel Name: CITY OF FREEPORT
  • USCG Doc. No.: 629736
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted
  • Call Sign: WDC2648
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Hull Number: 61
  • Ship Builder: GREENVILLE SHIPBLDG CORP
  • Year Built: 1980
  • Length: 67.5
  • Hailing Port: WILMINGTON, DE.
  • Hull Depth: 7.6
  • Hull Breadth: 28
  • Gross Tonnage: 172
  • Net Tonnage: 117
  • Owner:
    KIRBY INLAND MARINE LP
    55 WAUGH DR STE 1000
    HOUSTON, TX 7700
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    M B FREEMAN
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    Greenville Shipbuilding Corp., KIRBY INLAND MARINE LP A DELAWARE LIMITED PARTNERSHIP, KIRBY INLAND MARINE LP, KIRBY INLAND MARINE LP, KIRBY INLAND MARINE LP, KIRBY INLAND MARINE LP, KIRBY INLAND MARINE LP