Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
EARL JONES

Built in 1973, by the Marathon Shipbuilding Company of Vicksburg, Mississippi (hull #45) as the John C. Byrd for the Ole Man River Towing Incorporated of Vicksburg, Mississippi.

In 1989, the Ole Man River Towing Incorporated renamed the tug as the Thomas Golding.

In 2006, she was acquired by the Kirby Corporation of Channelview, Texas. Where the tug was renamed as the Earl Jones.

Powered by two, GM 16-645E2 diesel engines. She is a twin screw, square bow, push boat. Rated at 4,200 horsepower.


  • Vessel Name: EARL JONES
  • USCG Doc. No.: 548851
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted
  • Call Sign: WDC2733
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Hull Number: 45
  • Ship Builder: MARATHON SHIPBUILDING CO DE
  • Year Built: 1973
  • Length: 126.1
  • Hailing Port: WILMINGTON, DE.
  • Hull Depth: 9.9
  • Hull Breadth: 34.3
  • Gross Tonnage: 486
  • Net Tonnage: 331
  • Owner:
    KIRBY INLAND MARINE LP
    55 WAUGH DRIVE STE 1000
    HOUSTON, TX 77007
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    John C. Byrd, Thomas Golding
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    Ole Man River Towing Co., Ole Man River Towing Co., KIRBY INLAND MARINE LP, KIRBY INLAND MARINE LP, KIRBY INLAND MARINE LP, KIRBY INLAND MARINE LP, KIRBY INLAND MARINE LP, KIRBY INLAND MARINE LP