Built in 1944, by the Victory Shipbuilding Corporation of Newport Beach, California as the YTL-309 for the United States Navy.
In 1950, the tug was acquired A.G. Metal Products Company of Honolulu, Hawaii. Where her engines were removed.
In 1953, the hull was acquired by the Foss Launch and Tug Company of Tacoma, Washington. Where she was rebuilt and renamed as the Duncan Foss.
In 1969, the Foss Launch and Tug Company renamed her as the Elaine Foss.
In 1970, she was acquired by Canadian interests. Where she was renamed as the Cumshewa Chief.
In 1974, the tug was acquired by Tania Enterprises Limited of Kyuquot, British Columbia. Where she was renamed as the Tania Too.
In 1982, she was acquired by Godwin Marine Limited of Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, where the tug retained her name.
In 1985, while underway near Ocean Falls, British Columbia. The tug hit a deadhead, and sank.