Built in 1907, by John H. Dialogue of Camden, New Jersey (hull #422) as the Goliah for the Shipowners and Merchants Tugboat Company of San Francisco, California.
Constructed simultaneously with the tug Hercules. The two tugs, upon completion were delivered to San Francisco, California, via the Straits of Magellan.
Both tugs were constructed to burn oil as fuel. And, with the tanks filled on both tugs. The towing plan was designed with the intention that there was sufficient fuel in both tugs, for the Hercules to make the 14,000 mile transit, with the Goliah in tow. And the Hercules would replenish her tanks from those on the Goliah when her fuel was exhausted.
Both tugs were successfully delivered to San Francisco. Where they were added as part of the company's "Red Stack Fleet."
In 1909, the tug was acquired by the Puget Sound Tug Boat Company of Port Townsend, Washington. Where she retained her name.
In 1917, she was acquired by the United States Navy. The tug was sent to shipyard for conversion for Naval service.
In 1918, the tug was commissioned as SP-1494 (USS Goliah). Where she performed various tows on the Atlantic seaboard, Bermuda, Azores, and Brest, France.
In 1919, she was transferred to the United States Shipping Board. Where she was renamed as the Goliah.
In 1926, the tug was acquired by the Wood Towing Company of Norfolk, Virginia. Where she retained her name.
In 1935, the tug was acquired by the Eastern Transportation Corporation of New York, New York. Where she retained her name.
In 1951, she was acquired by the Baltimore Towing Company of Baltimore, Maryland. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1952, the tug was scrapped at Baltimore, Maryland. She was powered by a single vertical, inverted, directacting, triple expansion steam engine. With 17(in), 24(in), and 41(in) cylinders. With a 30(in) stroke, constructed for a working pressure of 180(lbs). With Scotch boilers, measuring a 15 (ft) diameter, by 12(ft) in length. Each with four Fox furnaces, and constructed for a working pressure of 180(lbs). The furnaces were arranged for burning oil as fuel. She was a single screw tug, rated 1,000 horsepower.
The air, and bilge pumps were connected to the main engine. With the circulating, donkey, fire, and sanitary pumps being independent.
(NavSource Online, Daniel Porter, Phil Gilston, Kyle Stubbs)