Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
ARGOS
Pictured as: the Argos (Fremont Tug) Photo by: Captain Mark Freeman

Built in 1914, by Captain John Morrison on a beach at Birmingham, Washington as the Argos for Captain John Morrison of Birmingham, Washington.

In 1920, the tug was acquired by the American Tugboat Company of Everett, Washington. Where she retained her name.

In 1957, she was acquired by the Fremont Tugboat Company of Seattle, Washington. Where the tug retained her name. She was accepted as part of a trade for a 100(ft) surplus regretted barge.

In 1963, the tug was acquired by Leroy Dry of Seattle, Washington. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1966, the tug was acquired by the Western Towboat Company of Seattle, Washington. Where the tug retained her name. Where she was accepted as a trade for Robert Shrewsbury Sr.'s tug Triumph.

In 1966, the tug was sold. As her new owners where delivering the vessel to Wrangell, Alaska. The tug struck an obstruction, and sank in the Stikine Straits.

Originally powered by a single, 70 horsepower, heavy duty gas engine. In 1920, the tug was repowered with a single, Fairbanks Morse CO (crude oil) semi-diesel engine. Turning a single, 54(in) diameter wheel. For a rated 100 horsepower.
(Captain Mark Freeman, Captain Ric Shrewsbury)


  • Vessel Name: ARGOS
  • USCG Doc. No.: 02127790
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Ship Builder: John Morrison
  • Year Built: 1914
  • Length: 56.6
  • Hailing Port: SEATTLE, WA.
  • Hull Depth: 4.5
  • Hull Breadth: 15.6
  • Gross Tonnage: 36
  • Net Tonnage: 21
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    Argos
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    Capt. John Morrison, American Tug Boat Co., Fremont Tugboat Co., Leroy Dry, Western Towboat Co.