Built in 1954, by the G.M. Nichols Boat Works of Hood River, Oregon as the Cougar for the Smith Tug and Barge Company of Rainier, Oregon.
The tug was later acquired by the Western Transportation Company of Portland, Oregon. Where she was renamed as the Western Cougar.
In 2006, she was acquired by the Brusco Tug and Barge Company of Longview, Washington. Where the tug was renamed as the Cougar.
In 2011, the tug was acquired by Diversified Marine Incorporated of Portland, Oregon. Where she retained her name.
Powered by three, Caterpillar 3406 Diesel engines. With Twin Disc MG514 reduction gears, at a ratio of 450:1. Turning three, 53(in) by 38(in), stainless steel, fixed pitch propellers. She is a triple screw tug, rated at 1,200 horsepower.
Her electrical service is provided by two, 30kW Caterpillar generator sets. The tug's capacities are 5,000 gallons of fuel, 200 gallons of water, 30 gallons of lube oil and 200 gallons of hydraulic fluid.
The towing equipment consists of four, 50 ton, BB barge winches. Outfitted with 800(ft) of 1 1/8(in) wire.