Built in 1943, by Platzer Boat Works of Houston, Texas (hull #117) as the ST-71 for the United States Army.
In 1946, she was acquired by the Russell Brothers Towing Company (Newtown Creek Towing Company) of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the Russell 8.
In 1961, the tug was acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where initially she retained her name.
In 1963, the McAllister Brothers Towing Company was renamed as the Reid McAllister
In 1967, she was acquired by the Gaelic Tugboat Company of Grosse Isle, Michigan. Where the tug was renamed as the Donegal.
In 1998, the tug was acquired by the Roen Salvage Company of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. Where she was renamed as the John A. Asher.
The tug is single screw, rated at 400 horsepower.