Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
RICHARD HOLYOKE
Pictured as: the Richard Holyoke (Bellingham Tug & Barge) Photo from the collection of Kyle Stubbs

Built in 1877 by Hiram Doncaster and William McCurdy at Seabeck, Washington as the Richard Holyoke for the Washington Timber Company of Seabeck, Washington.

In 1891, the Washington Timber Company entered a partnership to provide tugboat service in the Puget Sound region. And provided the tug as a part of creating the Puget Sound Tugboat Company of Port Townsend, Washington. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1916, she was acquired by the Skinner and Eddy Corporation of Seattle, Washington. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1923, the tug was acquired by the Bellingham Tug and Barge Company of Bellingham, Washington. Where she retained her name.

Circa 1931, she was taken out of service and laid-up.

In 1940, the tug was acquired by the Metal Conservation Corporation of Seattle, Washington. Where she was intended for conversion into a diesel-powered salvage vessel. Those plans fell through, and she was abandoned and likely scuttled in Lake Union.

She was a single-screw, steam tugboat with 344 horsepower.


  • Vessel Name: RICHARD HOLYOKE
  • USCG Doc. No.: 110335
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Call Sign: JSPL
  • Hull Material: WOOD
  • Ship Builder: H. DONCASTER & W. MCCURDY
  • Year Built: 1877
  • Length: 115.6
  • Hailing Port: SEATTLE, WA
  • Hull Depth: 11.8
  • Hull Breadth: 24.3
  • Gross Tonnage: 181
  • Net Tonnage: 90
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    Washington Timber Company, Puget Sound Tug Boat Company, Skinner and Eddy Corporation, Bellingham Tug and Barge Company, Metal Conservation Corporation