Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
POWHATAN

Built in 1943 by the Decatur Iron and Steel Company at Decatur, Alabama as the DPC-48 for the United States Defense Plant Corporation.

In 1946, the tug was acquired by the Suderman and Young Towing Company of Galveston, Texas. Where she was renamed as the Albatross.

In 1961, she was acquired by the Berwick Bay Towing Company of New Orleans, Louisiana. Where the tug was renamed as the Baton Rouge.

In 1964, the tug was acquired by the Otto Candies Company of Des Allemands, Louisiana. Where she was renamed as the Kevin S. Candies.

She was later acquired by the Sause Brothers Ocean Towing Company of Coos Bay, Oregon. Where the tug was renamed as the Powhatan.

The tug was later acquired by the Samson Tug and Barge Company Incorporated of Sitka, Alaska. Where she retained her name.

In 2005, the she was laid-up at a company pier near Sitka, Alaska. On 19 April, 2017, the tug sank while moored in Starrigavan Bay. Salvage of the tug was completed on 12 June, 2017 and she is expected to be scrapped at Seattle, Washington later in the year.


  • Vessel Name: POWHATAN
  • USCG Doc. No.: 244838
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted, Registry
  • Call Sign: WTX7883
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Ship Builder: DECATUR IRON & STEEL CO
  • Year Built: 1943
  • Length: 81.1
  • Hailing Port: SITKA, AK
  • Hull Depth: 9.8
  • Hull Breadth: 24
  • Gross Tonnage: 139
  • Net Tonnage: 94
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    DPC-48, Albatross, Baton Rouge, Kevin S. Candies
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    United States Defense Plant Corporation, Suderman and Young Towing Company Incorporated, Berwick Bay Towing Company Incorporated, Otto Candies Company, Sause Brothers Ocean Towing Company, Samson Tug and Barge Company Incorporated