Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
PENN NO. 4
Photo by: Birk Thomas

Built in 1973, by McDermott Shipyard of Morgan City, Louisiana (hull #186) as the tug Ocean Wave for L and L Marine Service, Incorporated. A subsidiary of the Apex Oil Company of St. Louis, Missouri.

She was later acquired by the Morania Oil Tanker Corporation of Staten Island, New York. Where she was renamed as the Morania No. 4.

When Penn Maritime merged with the Morania Oil Tanker Corporation where the tug was renamed as the Penn No. 4.

She is a twin screw tug rated at 4,300 horsepower.

In 2012, Penn Maritime was acquired by the Kirby Corporation of Channelview, Texas. Where she retained her name.

In 2013, the tug was outfitted with a Jak coupler system at Feeney's Enterprises in Kingston, New York.


  • Vessel Name: PENN NO. 4
  • USCG Doc. No.: 553289
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • IMO Number: 7367134
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted, Registry
  • Call Sign: WUZ2649
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Hull Number: 186
  • Ship Builder: MCDERMOTT SHIPYARD
  • Year Built: 1973
  • Length: 120.2
  • Hailing Port: PHILADELPHIA, PA.
  • Hull Depth: 16.3
  • Hull Breadth: 34
  • Gross Tonnage: 198
  • Net Tonnage: 134
  • Owner:
    KIRBY OFFSHORE MARINE OPERATING LLC
    55 WAUGH DRIVE SUITE 1000
    HOUSTON, TX 77007
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    Ocean Wave, MORANIA NO. 4
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    L&L Marine Services, Morania Oil Tanker Corporation, PENN MARITIME INC, PENN 4 LLC, PENN 4 LLC