Built in 1943, by Everett Marine Ways of Everett, Washington as the YTB-290 "Canocan" for the United States Navy.
She was originally built as fireboat replacement for the Navy Base at Pearl Harbor.
In 1959, the tug was acquired by the Pacific Tow Boat Company of Everett, Washington. Where she was renamed as the Sea King.
In 1969, Pacific Tow Boat and the Foss Launch and Tug Company of Tacoma, Washington were acquired as subsidiaries of the Dillingham Corporation of Honolulu, Hawaii. Operations of the two companies were united under the Foss name.
In 1976, she was renamed as the Iver Foss.
In 1978, the tug was acquired by Don Etheridge of Alaska. Where she was renamed the Tagish.
Powered by two Enterprise diesel engines, rated at 1,270 horsepower.