Built in 1915 by Nilson and Kelez at Seattle, Washington as the Chickamauga for the Pacific Tow Boat Company of Everett, Washington.
Powered by a NLSECO Model 4 diesel engine, she was the first diesel tugboat designed and built in the United States. In addition, she was also the first tug to be equipped with a powered towing winch.
In 1929, the original engine was replaced with an Atlas diesel. Eventually, the tug was also renamed as the Sea Chicken.
In 1969, Pacific Tow Boat and the Foss Launch and Tug Company of Tacoma, Washington were acquired as subsidiaries of the Dillingham Corporation of Honolulu, Hawaii. Operations of the two companies were united under the Foss name, where she retained her name.
Also in 1969, she was repowered with a CAT diesel.
In 1974, her name was reverted to Chickamauga, and the tug was sold to L.G. Cosper of Seattle, Washington.
The tug was later acquired by a series of owners until sinking while moored at Eagle Harbor, Washington on October 1, 2013. She was then raised and subsequently scrapped at Port Townsend, Washington.