Built in 1915, by the Nilson and Kelez Company of Seattle, Washington as the Chickamauga for the Pacific Tow Boat Company of Everett, Washington.
In 1929, the Pacific Towboat Company renamed the tug as the Sea Chicken.
In 1969, the Pacific Tow Boat Company and the Foss Launch and Tug Company of Tacoma, Washington were acquired as subsidiaries of the Dillingham Corporation of Honolulu, Hawaii. Operations of the two companies were united under the Foss Maritime name, where she retained her name.
In 1974, the tug was acquired by an individual named L.G. Cosper of Seattle, Washington. Where she was renamed as the Chickamauga.
The tug was later acquired by a series of owners until she sank while moored at Eagle Harbor, Washington on October 1st, 2013. She was then raised and scrapped at Port Townsend, Washington.
Originally powered by a single, NLSECO Model four diesel engine, she was the first diesel tugboat designed, and built in the United States. In addition, she was also the first tug to be equipped with a powered towing winch. In 1929, the original engine was replaced with an Atlas diesel engine. And, in 1969, she was re powered with a Caterpillar diesel engine.