Built in 1977, by Quality Shipyards Incorporated of Houma, Louisiana (hull #138) as the Gulf Whale for Gulf Mississippi Marine Incorporated of Houston, Texas.
In 1978, Gulf Mississippi Marine Incorporated became Gulf Fleet Marine Incorporated. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1985, Zapata Marine Service, Gulf Fleet Marine Incorporated, and Jackson Marine Services merged to form Zapata Gulf Marine Service Incorporated of Houston, Texas.
In 1992, Zapata Gulf Marine Incorporated merged with Tidewater Marine Incorporated of New Orleans, Louisiana. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1998, the tug was acquired by for the Gulfcoast Transit Company of Tampa, Florida. A subsidiary of the Tampa Electric Company of Tampa, Florida. Where she was renamed as the Janet Graham.
In 2000, she was then acquired by Express Marine Incorporated of Camden, New Jersey. Where the tug was renamed as the Express Explorer. She serviced the Domino Sugar plant in Brooklyn, New York. When the Domino Sugar plant closed; the contract the Express Explorer operated under ended.
In 2006, the tug was then acquired by the Dann Ocean Towing Company of Tampa, Florida. Where she was renamed as the Allie B.
Powered by two, EMD 12-645-E6 diesel engines. With Reintjes WAV 1850 reduction gears. Turning two, 108(in) by 108(in) fixed pitch, five bladed, stainless steel propellers, mounted in kort nozzles. For a rated 3,000 horsepower.
Her electrical service is provided by two, 75kW generator sets. Driven by two Detroit 6V71 engines. The tug's capacities are 96,000 gallons of fuel oil, 225 gallons of hydraulic oil, 4,185 gallons of lube oil, 6,925 gallons of water.
Her towing gear consists of a double drum, INTERcon DD-200, towing winch. Outfitted with 2,000(ft) of 2(in) towing wire. With a secondary drum equipped with 2000(ft) of 2(in) towing wire. Driven by single, dedicated Detroit 8V71 engine, she also features sheaves and fairleads for notch towing.
(Captain Eric Takakjian, Kyle Stubbs)