Built in 1971, by McDermott Shipyards of Morgan City, Louisiana (hull #169) as the Elmire G. Defelice for Defelice Towing of Lake Charles, Louisiana.
Defelice Marine Towing was later acquired by Gulf fleet Marine of Houston, Texas. Gulf Fleet eventually merged into Zapata Gulf Marine, the merged company was later acquired by Tidewater Marine of New Orleans, Louisiana. Throughout the transactions, the tug retained her name.
The tug was later acquired by Dann Ocean Towing of Tampa, Florida. Where and was renamed as the Alice H.
She was later renamed as the Chelsea.
The tug was then reacquired by Dann Ocean Towing of Tampa, Florida where she was renamed as the Shannon Dann.
For a time she was chartered to Constellation Maritime of Boston, Massachusetts. Where she was renamed as the Shannon.
She has since been returned to Dann Ocean Towing.
She is a model bow, twin screw ABS load line certified tug. Powered by two EMD 8-645-E2 diesel main engines with Reintjes WAV 1651 reduction gears at a ratio of 4.00 : 1.00 turning via 7 1/2(in) shafts two 90(in) diameter by 76(in) fixed pitch four bladed stainless steel propellers shafts for a rated 2,400 horsepower.
Her electrical service is provided by two 75 KW generators driven by two 6-71 Detroit Diesels. The tug's capacities are 61,188 gallons of Fuel Oil, 800 gallons of Hydraulic Oil, 2,370 gallons of lube oil, 5,000 gallons of wash water, and 4,000 gallons of potable water.
Her towing gear consists of a Markey double drum tdsd-28 towing winch outfitted with 2,000(ft) of 1.75(in) primary wire, and 2,000(ft) of 1.75(ft) of secondary wire, as well as a Markey double cathead.
(Captain Eric Takakjian)