Built in 1978, by Quality Shipyards of Houma, Louisiana (hull #144) as the Gulf Falcon for Tidewater Marine.
The was later acquired by Zapata Gulf Marine where she retained her name.
She was later acquired by Dann Ocean Towing of Tampa, Florida where she was renamed as the Ocean Tower .
The Ocean Tower is a model bow, twin screw ABS A-1 Towing Service, Maltese Cross certified tug powered by two EMD 12-645-E6 diesel main engines Reintjes WAV 1850 reduction gears with a ratio of 5:1 turning via 9(in) two 108(in) by 108(in) fixed pitch four bladed stainless steel propellers mounted in kort nozzles shafts for a rated 3,000 horsepower.
Her electrical service is provided by two 99-KW generators driven by two Detroit 8V71s.
Her capacities are 96,000 gallons, 225 gallons of Hydraulic Oil, 4,185 gallons of Lube Oil, 6,925 gallons of Potable Water.
The tug's towing gear consists of an INTERcon DD200 Double Drum towing winch outfitted with 2,500(ft) of 2(in) wire as a primary towing wire and 2,500(ft) of 2(in) wire as a secondary wire. The winch features a line pull of 200,000 pounds driven by a Detroit 8V71 engine the tug also features an Integral stern roller and Texas Bar.