Built in 1903, by the Spedden Company of Baltimore, Maryland (hull #206) as the Winnisimmet for the United States Revenue Service.
She was one of two Winnisimmet class revenue cutters constructed by the Spedden Company. The other vessel was named as the Wissahickon.
Her name is a Native American word meaning "good water nearby." She was launched on 11 October 11th, 1902. And, was completed on July 30th, 1903. Where she was assigned to Boston, Massachusetts.
On April 6th, 1917 the vessel was transferred to the United States Navy. Where she retained her name.
In 1919, the vessel was returned to the United States Coast Guard. Where she was renamed as the CG-9.
In 1932, she was redeisngated as the USCG WYT-84. And, the vessel was was transferred to Norfolk, Virginia.
In 1945, the vessel was decommissioned. And "laid up" at Norfolk, Virginia.
In 1946, she was sold. Where the tug was renamed as the Sophia.
The tug was eventually sold, where she was renamed as the Bullhead.
In 1980, she was acquired by Winslow Marine Incorporated of Falmouth, Maine. Where the tug was renamed as the David C. Winslow.
In 1991, the tug was acquired by an undisclosed interest based in North Carolina. On the delivery trip it was decided the tug would not transit the Cape Cod Canal, and Buzzards Bay. And, instead the tug traveled south of Cape Cod during a Northwesterly gale.
With winds in excess of 50 knots, the aft hatch leaked, and the flooded, and sank approximately 50 nautical miles south of Martha's Vineyard. Her wreck intact in about 185(ft) of water, on a mud bottom.
She was powered by a single Reciprocating steam engine, with a Babcock and Wilcox watertube boiler. Turning a single, fixed pitch propeller. She was a single screw tug, rated at 500 horsepower. Although she was later converted to diesel.
(Donald Canney, Captain Eric Takakjian, Robert Scheina)