Built in 1943 by Canulette Shipbuilding at Slidell, Louisiana as the Port Barre (hull #2), vessel order #439 for the United States Maritime Commission.
In 1946, the tug was acquired by the Standard Oil Company of California of San Francisco, California. Where she was renamed as the Standard No. 2.
In 1984, the Standard Oil Company of California merged with the Gulf Oil Corporation of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, changing the company name to the Chevron Corporation.
In 1989, she was acquired by an individual named James D. Gilmur of Metlakatla, Alaska. Where the tug was renamed as the Kami Kay G.
The tug's documentation lapsed in 2001, and as of 2017 she is laid-up in partially-scrapped condition on the Sacramento River delta.
She is a single screw tug, powered by an 8-cylinder Enterprise diesel, rated at 1,000 horsepower.