Built in 1961, by Lester F. Alexander and Company of New Orleans, Louisiana (hull #791) as the Valoil for Valentine Oil Transportation.
Originally constructed as a twin screw canal tug with a small retractable wheelhouse that could be adjusted up and down. The tug was later acquired by Poling Transportation where she was renamed as the June C. , where her retractable wheelhouse became stuck in the "up" position and was disabled. A raised fixed house, was constructed for better visibility as well as a new superstructure were completely rebuilt on the original hull.
She was later sold and renamed as the Matty J. , then as the Tammy , and then as the Reliance .
The tug was then acquired Empire Harbor Marine where she was renamed as the Kendall P. Brake . Empire Harbor Marine eventually became Port Albany Ventures.
In 2009, Port Albany Ventures was acquired by DonJon Marine of Hillside, New Jersey where she was renamed as the Thomas D. Witte .
She is a twin screw tug powered by two EMD 12-645-E2 diesel main engines with Falk 1235 reduction gears at a ratio of 2:9:1 turning two 78(in) by 62(in) fixed pitch propellers; for a rated 1,500 horsepower. Her electrical service is provided by two 55-kw generators driven by two Detroit Inline 6-71 engines producing 60 Hz, 3 Phase.
The tug's capacities are 28,268 gallons of fuel oil, 500 gallons of lube oil, and 3,609 gallons of fresh water.
Her towing gear consists of a single drum Marky 32 towing winch with equipped a level winder, outfitted with 2,500(ft) of 1 5/8(in) inch towing wire. She is also equipped with one 120 pound Danforth anchor.
(Steve Bernhard, Harold E. Tartell)