Built in 1901, by the Stone and Van Bergen Shipyard of San Francisco, California as the cannery tender Chilkat for the Alaska Packers Association of Anchorage, Alaska.
In 1942, she was acquired by Foss Launch and Tug of Tacoma, Washington. Where the tug was renamed as Edith Foss.
In 1943, the tug was acquired by the United States Army where she was designated as LT-239.
On December 4, 1943, she sank in the Inside Passage, after a collision with a passenger ship.