Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
WILLAMETTE TUG AND BARGE COMPANY

(Willamette-Western Corporation)

Founded in 1938 when former Port of Portland, Oregon dredge captain Arthur A. Riedel, Sr and partners purchased the Portland Dredging Company and its single tugboat Illahe , renaming the business as Willamette Tug and Barge.
In 1964, the company, under the helm of Arthur Riedel, Jr since 1957, was renamed as the Willamette-Western Corporation, with Willamette Tug and Barge retained as a the maritime operations division. At its peak, the company operated a fleet of 58 tugboats and 83 barges, involved in long distance towing, shiphandling in the Port of Portland, and even bunkering services through the KW Marine joint venture with the Knappton Towboat Company of Astoria, Oregon.
In 1988, Willamette Tug and Barge was purchased by the Brix Maritime Company of Seattle, Washington.

Active Tugs