Following the break up of the Standard Oil Company in 1911. The Standard Oil Company of New York, or Socony. Was founded, along with thirty three other successor companies. In 1920, the company registered the name "Mobiloil" as a trademark.
In 1931, Socony merged with the Vacuum Oil Company to form Socony Vacuum Company. In 1933, the Socony Vacuum Company and the Jersey Standard Company. Which maintained oil production and refineries in Indonesia. Merged their interests in the far east into a fifty, fifty joint venture. The result was the Standard Vacuum Oil Company, or Stanvac. The company operated in fifty countries, including East Africa, New Zealand and China, before it was dissolved in 1962.
In 1935, the Socony Vacuum Oil Company opened the Mammoth Oil Port in Staten Island, New York. Which had a capacity of handling a quarter of million gallons of petroleum products a year. And could transship oil from ocean going tankers and river barges.
In 1955, the Socony Vacuum Company was renamed as the Socony Mobil Oil Company. In 1963, the company changed its trade name from "Mobilgas" to simply "Mobil." Introducing a new logo. And, in 1966 "Socony" was dropped from the corporate name.
On March 24th 1989, the M/T Exxon Valdez struck Bligh Reef in Prince William Sound, Alaska. Spilling more than 11 million US gallons of crude oil. The Exxon Valdez oil spill was the second largest spill in United States history. In the aftermath of the Exxon Valdez incident, the United States Congress passed the Oil Pollution Act of 1990. And, an initial award of five billion punitive damages was reduced to $507.5 million by the United States Supreme Court in June 2008. And distributions of this award commenced.
In 1993, the the Mobil Oil Company's marine division was rebranded as the SeaRiver Maritime Company of Houston, Texas.
In 1998, the Exxon Shipping Company and Mobil Oil Corporation signed a $73.7 billion definitive agreement to merge. And, form a new company called the ExxonMobil Corporation. The largest company on the planet. After shareholder and regulatory approvals, the merger was completed on November 30, 1999.