Built in 1960, by the St. Louis Shipbuilding and Steel Company of St. Louis, Missouri (hull #1850) as the Austen S. Cargill for Cargo Carriers Incorporated of Minneapolis, Minnesota.
In 1989, the tug was acquired by the Marquette Transportation Company of Jefferson, Louisiana. Where she was renamed as the Ray A. Eckstein.
In 2000, the Marquette Transportation Company renamed the tug as the Justin Paul Eckstein.
Re powered in 1992, she is driven by three, Caterpillar 3606 diesel engines. With Haley reduction gears, at a ratio of 4.48:1. Turning three, 108(in) by 106(in), stainless steel, fixed pitch propellers, mounted in kort nozzles. She is triple screw towboat, rated at 7,300 horsepower.
Her electrical service is provided by two, Caterpillar 3306 generator set. The tug's capacities are 105,962 gallons of fuel, and 3,382 gallons of lube oil.