Founded in 1803, as an iron foundry in New Jersey by George Wood. Who had taken an interest in dairy farming. Wood and his family family began a small processing plant in Wawa, Pennsylvania.
In 1902, with the dairy business was a huge success, due to its quality, cleanliness and “certified” process. As home delivery of milk declined in the early 1960's. Grahame Wood, George Wood’s grandson, opened the first Wawa Food Market in 1964, as an outlet for dairy products.
The chain grew to more than 750 convenience and retail stores. Wawa stores are located in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Central Florida.
In 2017, with the company beginning a push further into the southern markets in the United States. The company commissioned the construction of an Articulated tug and Barge unit, the ATB Millville and her barge the 1964.