Built in 1948, by the G.M. Nichols Boat Works of Hood River, Oregon (hull #31) as the Cub for Northwest Rock Products Incorporated of Cosmopolis, Washington.
In 1953, the tug was acquired by the Western Towboat Company of Seattle, Washington. Where she was renamed the the Flyer.
The tug was sold, where she was renamed as the Polar Cub.
In 2002, the tug was acquired by the Caicos Corporation of Bainbridge Island, Washington. Where the tug was renamed a the Valiant.
She is no longer listed in documentation. Her current and or final disposition is unknown.
Originally powered by a single, BUDA 1879 diesel engine, rated at 171 horsepower. The Western Towboat Company completely rebuilt the vessel including the installation of a single Caterpillar 3406 diesel engine, rated at 325 horsepower. As well as a, 12 horsepower, Wesmar 12(in) dual prop bow thruster.
(Captain Ric Shrewsbury)