Built in 1926, by the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio (hull #54) as the Florida for the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio.
In 1983, the tug was chartered out. Where she was renamed as the Pinellas.
In 1984, she was returned to the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio. Where the tug was renamed Florida.
In 1955, the tug was converted to diesel propulsion. Powered by a single, EMD 12-567ATL diesel engine. With a Falk Reverse reduction gear, at a ratio of 2.5:1. Turning one, 86(in) by 48(in), three bladed, fixed pitch, stainless steel propeller. She is a single screw tug, rated at 900 horsepower.
Her electrical service is provided by two, Detroit Diesel 3-71 diesel generator sets.
(Isaac Pennock, Will Van Dorp, Paul Strubeck)