Built in 1914, by the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio (hull #29) as the Illinois for the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio.
Originally powered by a 16"-30"x 24" compound steam engine, the tug was converted to diesel propulsion in 1949. Powered by a single, Cleveland 12-278A diesel engine. With a Falk Reverse reduction gear, at a ratio of 3.5:1. Turning one, 102(in) by 66(in), stainless steel, fixed pitch, three bladed propeller. She is a single screw tug, rated at 1,200 horsepower.
Her electrical service is provided by two Detroit Diesel 2-71 generator sets
(Isaac Pennock, Will Van Dorp, Paul Strubeck)