Built in 1910, by the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio (hull #11) as the John M. Truby for the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio.
In 1938, the Great Lakes Towing Company renamed at the tug as the North Dakota.
In 1949, she was converted to diesel propulsion. Powered by one, Cleveland 12-278A diesel engine. With a Falk Reverse reduction gear, at a ratio of 3.5:1. Turning one, 102(in) by 66(in), three bladed, fixed pitch, stainless steel propeller. She is a single screw tug, rated at 1,200 horsepower.
Her electrical service is provided by one, Detroit Diesel 2-71 diesel generator sets, and one Detroit Diesel 3-71 diesel generator set.
(Isaac Pennock, Will Van Dorp, Paul Strubeck)