Built in 1914, by the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio (hull #28) as the Vermont for the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio.
In 1949, the tug was converted to diesel propulsion. Powered by one, Cleveland 12-278A diesel engine. With a Falk Reverse reduction gear, at a ratio of 3.5:1 Turning one, 102(in) by 66(in), three bladed, fixed pitch, stainless steel propeller. She is a single screw tug, rated at 1,200 horsepower.
Her electrical service is provided by one, Detroit Diesel 3-71 diesel generator set, and one Detroit Diesel 2-71 diesel generator set.