Built in 1925, by the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio (hull #52) as the Washington for the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio.
In 1951, the tug was converted diesel electric propulsion. Powered by a single, Cleveland 12-278 diesel. With a Farrel-Birmingham reduction gear, at a ratio of 4.233:1 Turning one, 102(in) by 87(in), three bladed, fixed pitch, stainless steel propeller. She is a single screw tug, rated at 1,050 horsepower.
Her electrical service is provided by one, Detroit Diesel 3-71 diesel generator set, and one shaft generator.
(Isaac Pennock, Will Van Dorp, Paul Strubeck)