Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
ALVA B.

Built in 1890, by the Union Drydock Company of Buffalo, New York (hull #54) as the Alva B. for the Vessel Owners' Towing Company of Buffalo, New York.

In 1899, the tug was acquired by the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio. Where she retained her name.

In 1914, she was acquired by H.S. Kerbaugh Incorporated of Buffalo, New York. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1917, the tug was acquired by the American Towing Company of Buffalo, New York. Where she retained her name.

In 1917, the tug was destroyed by weather after grounding one nautical mile off of Avon Point, Ohio. Powered by a single, high pressure, non-condensing, steam engine. She was a single screw tug, rated at 425 horsepower.


  • Vessel Name: ALVA B.
  • USCG Doc. No.: 01067380
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted Registry
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Hull Number: 54
  • Ship Builder: Union Drydock Co.
  • Year Built: 1890
  • Length: 73.6
  • Hull Depth: 10.5
  • Hull Breadth: 18.5
  • Gross Tonnage: 83
  • Net Tonnage: 41
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    Alva B.
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    Great Lakes Towing Co., H.S. Kerbaugh Inc., American Towing Co.