Built in 1912, by the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio (hull #19) as the Buffalo for the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio.
In 1928, she was acquired by the United States Army Corps of Engineers. Where she was renamed as the Churchill.
In 1948, the tug was acquired by American Steamship Company of Buffalo, New York. Where she was renamed as the Buffalo.
In 1965, she was acquired by the Fraser Shipyards Incorporated of Superior, Wisconsin. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1974, Fraser Shipyards Incorporated renamed the tug as the Todd Fraser.
In 1978, Fraser Shipyards Incorporated renamed the tug as the Ruben Johnson.
In 1990, the tug was "laid up" at Fraser Shipyards Incorporated in Superior, Wisconsin.
In 2010, she was scrapped at Superior, Wisconsin. In 1955, she was converted to diesel propulsion. Powered by one, Detroit Diesel 6-110 diesel engines. Turning a single propeller. She was a single screw tug, rated at 1,200 horsepower.