Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
CHARLES F. DUNBAR

Built in 1898, by the Union Dry Dock Company of Buffalo, New York (hull #85) as the Charle F. Dunbar for the Hand and Johnson Tug Line Incorporated of Buffalo, New York.

In 1899, the tug was transferred to the management of the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1903, she was acquired by the Daly and Hannan Dredge Company of Ogdensburg, New York. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1913, the tug was acquired by the Bathurst Lumber Company of New Brunswick, Canada. Where she was renamed as the Betty D.

In 1932, she was acquired by an individual named John Fraser of New Brunswick, Canada. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1937, the tug was acquired by the Material Service Corporation of Chicago, Illinois. Where she was renamed as the Sol R. Crown.

In 1942, she was acquired by the Sears Marine Corporation of Chicago, Illinois. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1943, the tug was acquired by the Canadian Dredge and Dock Company of Kingston, Ontario. where the tug retained her name.

In 1946, the Canadian Dredge and Dock Company renamed the tug as the Minnicog.

In 1970, the tug was scrapped by the Canadian Dredge and Dock Company of Kingston, Ontario. She was a single screw tug, rated at 800 horsepower.


  • Vessel Name: CHARLES F. DUNBAR
  • USCG Doc. No.: 127241
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted Registry
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Hull Number: 85
  • Ship Builder: Union Drydock Co.
  • Year Built: 1898
  • Length: 86.2
  • Hull Depth: 10.8
  • Hull Breadth: 23.4
  • Gross Tonnage: 136
  • Net Tonnage: 92
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    Charles F. Dunbar, Betty D., Sol R. Crown, Minnicog
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    Maytham Line Inc., Hand & Johnson Tug Line Inc., Daly and Hannan Dredge Co., Bathurst Lumber Co., John Fraser, Material Service Corp.