Built in 1917, by the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio (hull #45) as the Detroit for the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio.
In 1939, the tug was acquired by the Great Lakes Dredge and Dock Company of Oak Brook, Illinois. Where she was renamed as the General E.M. Markham.
In 1956, she was acquired by an individual named Frank Becker of Detroit, Michigan. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1972, the tug was acquired by an individual named T.D. Vinette of Escanaba, Michigan. Where she retained her name.
In 1993, T.D. Vinette renamed the tug as the Winslow.
In 1993, the tug was scrapped at Escanaba, Michigan. She was a single screw tug, rated at 1,200 horsepower.