Built in 1925, by the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio (hull #53) as the Maryland for the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio.
In 1969, while under tow the tug sank six miles east of Sturgeon Point, Lake Huron. She was raised and towed to Alpena, Michigan. Where she was salvaged, and returned to service.
In 1982, the tug was chartered out and renamed as the Tarawa.
In 1983, while under charter the tug was renamed as the Pasco.
In 1984, she was returned to the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio. Where the tug was renamed as the Mayland.
In 1998, the tug was scrapped at Cleveland, Ohio.
In 1952, the tug was converted to diesel propulsion. Powered by one, EMD 12-567ATL diesel engine. She was repowered in 1967 with an EMD 12-567CA. Turning one, 84(in) by 80(in), four bladed, fixed pitch, stainless steel propeller, in a Kort nozzle in She was a single screw tug, rated at 1,640 horsepower.
(Isaac Pennock, Will Van Dorp, Paul Strubeck)