Built in 1908, by the Great Lakes Towing Company of Chicago, Illinois (hull #5) as the L.C. Sabin for the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio.
In 1941, the Great Lakes Towing Company renamed the tug as the North Carolina.
In 1968, the tug sank 1.5 miles north of Mentor-on-the-Lake, Ohio on Lake Erie.
In 1951, she was converted to diesel propulsion. Powered by a Cleveland 12-278 diesel engine. With a Farrel-Birmingham reduction gear, at a ratio of 4.233:1. Turning one, 102(in) by 87(in), three bladed, fixed pitch, stainless steel propeller. She was a single screw tug, rated at 1,050 horsepower.
Her electrical service was provided by one, Detroit Diesel 3-71 diesel generator set. And a shaft generator.