Built in 1909, by the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio (hull #7) as the E.M. Pierce for the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio.
In 1933, the Great Lakes Towing Company renamed the tug as the Utah.
In 1990, the tug was phased out of active service and was "laid up" at Cleveland, Ohio. And in 1998, the tug was scrapped.
In 1949, she was converted to diesel propulsion. Powered by single Cleveland 12-278 diesel engine. With a Falk Reverse reduction gear, at a ratio of 3.5:1 Turning one, 102(in) by 66(in), three bladed, fixed pitch, stainless steel propeller. She was a single screw tug, rated at 1,200 horsepower.
(Isaac Pennock, Will Van Dorp, Paul Strubeck)