Built in 1956, by American Boiler Works of Erie, Pennsylvania. And completed by Matton Shipyard Incorporated of Cohoes, New York (hull #ST-2116) as the ST-2116 (King's Mountain) for the United States Army.
In 1956, the tug was delivered to the United States Navy. Where she was allocated to 73rd Floating Craft Company at Fort Eustis at Newport News, Virginia.
In 1994, she was removed from active service, and was "laid up" at Newport News, Virginia.
In 1997, the tug was acquired by the Lea Diving and Salvage Company of Mobile, Alabama. Where she was renamed as the Orion.
Powered by a single, White Atlas Imperial diesel engine. She is a single screw tug, rated at 600 horsepower.